It has been a very long time since El Tri has seen Carlos Vela in uniform. Since 2011, Carlos has been with Real Sociedad, and ever since, much controversy has surrounded his name. There are many opinions on the forward, both positive and negative. I am on the side that believes Carlos is a great contribution to the Mexican national side. While others believe his chances are simply over with. It was his denial to represent Mexico at the Olympics that caused the biggest stir. However, I say that his absence only strengthened lesser known players. One of which was Raul Jimenez, who had a big game against Senegal, and has had a great run with Club América ever since.
I will agree that his denial to play against Colombia was not in the best tastes, but his denial of the Olympic side only was to strengthen his role with Real Sociedad (similar to Jonathan Dos Santos). Carlos has made several comments that he would be more than happy to return to the El Tri, and there are many reasons Mexico must call him as soon as possible.
- He has great ball control and dribbling ability.
- He is fast; both with the ball, and in the attack.
- Great penalty taker (an aspect Mexico is very inconsistent with).
- Solid with both feet.
- Great at chips and clutch shots. He is simply a clinical finisher.
- His consistency with Real Sociedad is worth another call with Mexico.
- A call up with only strengthen Mexico’s attack with Giovani, Chicharito, Marco, Guardado etc.
- He can be a starter or a super sub, without losing any rhythm.
- He was a leader in the 2005 U-17 World cup championship and the 2009 Gold cup.
- He is 23 years young.
I hope that the fans who are upset with Vela can really look at one major point…he is 23. He has a lot of talent, and at the young age of 23, he can offer many years of service with Mexico. I know that he would have helped Mexico’s Olympic squad, but that is exactly why we need him now. We have a lot of players who have these major on and off days. One day Aldo de Nigris puts in two against Wales, and then he can’t finish anything against El Salvador. From looking at his crucial play in Spain, it is time Vela makes his resurrection with our beloved El Tri.