Manchester United’s manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, had previously given away Hernandez’s inclusion in the Mexican squad. However, there seemed to be a change of heart as Mexican management said in a press conference that Hernandez did not have permission to attend the Olympics.
If Hernandez had been chosen to represent Mexico at the Olympics, he would have counted as one of the three allowed overage players. Hernandez, born June 23, 1988, would have been 24-years-old at the tournament.
“Carlos Vela asked for a personal and professional exception to not be called to any of the national teams. With Hector Moreno, Giovani Dos Santos, and Jonathan Dos Santos there should be no problem to call them up. Alex Ferguson denied Javier Hernandez’s participation in the Olympic games,” said director of the national teams Hector Gonzalez Iñarritu at a press conference.
Before the Olympics Mexico will play in a tournament in the Toulon Tournament. The list was given at the press conference as well. The players that will participate in the tournament are as follows:
Jose Antonio Rodríguez
Hugo Isaac Rodriguez
Israel Jimenez, Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres, and David Cabrera(injured during the tournament) were cut after the performance with the Mexican team during the qualification process.